geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Integration of Geronimo modules (Tx / JCA) in Spring
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 20:33:26 GMT

On May 23, 2005, at 1:20 PM, Dmitriy Kopylenko wrote:

>> We need the NamedXAResource in order to be able to do recovery.
>> Otherwise there really isn't any way to determine when all the
>> XAResources needed for recovering transactions have been started.
>

>> Note that if you are using the j2ca framework it will register all
>> the  XAResources itself and it already supplies the NamedXAResource
>> wrapper.   Do you have a plausible use case for an application
>> registering a  transaction participant itself rather than relying on
>> framework code?
>>
> I guess this detail have been overlooked. I guess we would just need
> to find out how one would "register" (in Spring context), let's say
> XAPool with the Geronimo j2ca framework and let it do the rest e.g.
> wrap XAResources with NamedXAResource wrapper, etc.

I'm not sure what XAPool is.  Our strategy for jdbc, both  xa and
non-xa, is to wrap the driver into a j2ca connector and deploy that in
the j2ca framework.  There are several such j2ca-jdbc wrappers: the
one we are using (we wrote it) is at the tranql project at codehaus
under connector.  By default it only wraps non-xa drivers. There's also
a (probably broken by now due to lack of updates) oracle specific
adaptation.  We also have a derby-specific xa wrapper inside geronimo.

Here's part of the cvs connection string:
cvs.tranql.codehaus.org:/home/projects/tranql/scm

Generally each driver really should have a driver specific class to
indicate which sql exceptions it throws mean that a connection is dead
and should be discarded.  However, no one has actually written one of
these yet :-)

thanks
david jencks