geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: Serialization Vs. XML
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 00:08:32 GMT
My first reaction is that you have seriously misrepresented everyones
positions.  However, I don't have time right now to go into much
detail, as I am still attempting to work on certification.

I have attempted to be clear all along that I fully support keeping
serialization and think that the arguments against it are way
overblown.  As such, depicting Jeremy as the sole holdout against the
tide of xml-goodness is ludicrous.

Also, my impression was that we had all agreed at the start that we
would do our best to keep xml processing out of the runtime.  I guess I
should have had everyone sign up on this since it looks like fewer
people remember this every day.

I don't know many details about object serialization.  I would like to
see a concrete demonstration of problems with serializing a reasonable
attribute value, such as a javabean or strategy object.

david jencks

On May 19, 2005, at 4:42 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> The serialization Vs. XML discussion has been going for almost a week
> now and it doesn't look like we are getting sidetracked into subtle
> (yet important) points, so I'd like to take the oportunity to bring
> this up the the high level were everyone can participate.
> From my perspective I think we have the following issues and positions:
> 1)  Difficulty of Serialization Vs. XML:
> Jeremy: Serialization is just as difficult as XML and has the same
> inherent problems when you upgrade.
> Others: XMl is much easier to implement and is much easier to process
> when you upgrade.
> 2) If serialization is harder and more error prone then XML, is XML
> sufficient to address the configuration of geronimo.
> Jeremy: Users expect the level of stability that comes from an
> application that is serializable stable.
> Others: Most platforms use XML already so it must be sufficient.
> I hope I have not miss represented the discussion.  This is an
> important discussion to every one involved with Geronimo, and I hope
> we can continue this discussion (at a little bit higher level) so that
> more people can participate.
> -dain

View raw message