geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: API and serialization compatibility, was: Build Failure
Date Sat, 14 May 2005 22:24:56 GMT
Tim,

As you point out, the problem of serialization is far reaching.
Basically, we need to get every project included in Geronimo to buy
into serialization stability, and to my knowledge there are no
projects in Geronimo that today have committed to this.  In addition,
Geronimo itself is does not support serialization stability, and if
we choose this path, we must clean up our own house by verifying
every serializable class is set up for upward compatible
serialization.  This is by no means an easy task, but I think before
we ask something of other project we are aware of the effort involved
in what we are asking.

Alternatively, we could choose to do like Sun did with swing and give
up on serialization and use an xml based storage mechanism based on
Java Beans rules.

-dain