geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Serialization Vs. XML
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 01:00:36 GMT
On May 19, 2005, at 5:08 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> My first reaction is that you have seriously misrepresented
> everyones positions.  However, I don't have time right now to go
> into much detail, as I am still attempting to work on certification.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to misrepresent.  I have only been following
this at a medium level, and was personally overwhelmed by the
technical details, so this was partly for me :)

> I have attempted to be clear all along that I fully support keeping
> serialization and think that the arguments against it are way
> overblown.  As such, depicting Jeremy as the sole holdout against
> the tide of xml-goodness is ludicrous.

Sorry, in the flood of emails, I forgot you were also saying we
should keep serialization. Again sorry.

> Also, my impression was that we had all agreed at the start that we
> would do our best to keep xml processing out of the runtime. I
> guess I should have had everyone sign up on this since it looks
> like fewer people remember this every day.

I am still against lots of xml processing, but I have changed my mind
about serizlization.  I do not want to see xml tightly integrated
into any code, I rather see a marshalling layer that converts xml to
a nice java bean tree that represents a configuration.  That way,
someone can start with just java code, property files, or whatever.
I think serialization is great for caching and rpc, but I don't like
it for long term storage or configuration information.

> I don't know many details about object serialization.  I would like
> to see a concrete demonstration of problems with serializing a
> reasonable attribute value, such as a javabean or strategy object.

I think that is part of the big problem here.  Too much talk not
enough code.  I think we should get the advocates of a technique to
show the code for class upgrade.

-dain