geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Module restructure
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 00:10:26 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Anything in trunk or branch is unstable.  Anything in tag is stable.

A tag though represents a single point in time. We really need stable
and unstable branches as I tried to characterise them in the mail that
started this thread.

>>> We can easily support your scenario and keep w/ standard SVN usage by
>>> doing:
>>>
>>> geronimo/transaction/branches
>>> geronimo/transaction/tags/1_0
>>> geronimo/transaction/tags/1_2
>>> geronimo/transaction/tags/1_3
>>> geronimo/transaction/tags/2_0
>>> geronimo/transaction/tags/2_3
>>> geronimo/transaction/trunk
>>>

>> The problem I saw with that was how someone would easily check out the
>> whole tree in order to build from source. I think DB had the same
>> concern.
>

> Hmm, that's a good point.  I think that your example suffers the same
> problem, no?  I think that you either are able to treat modules as
> separate projects and get the configurability that you want or you get a
> nice way to svn co; I'm not sure that we can get both.

Brian's externals idea may address some of that but at the cost of
additional commit complexity.

--
Jeremy