geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Module restructure
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 20:06:26 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> I'm worried that it would be a giant hassle to try to assemble a
> geronimo that is 90% stable and 10% unstable.

I would have thought that would be an assembly that used 90% stable
module versions and 10% unstable ones. Where would the hassle be?

> I also don't see the advantage of this plan over simply creating a
> branch whenever someone wants to do some disruptive experimentation, and
> merging the results back in when appropriate.  This worked fine for me
> for the work I did rewriting the jetty deployer. If I understand the svn
> docs this is more in line with "standard svn practice".

The big problem is the merge back. If the main branch is continually
evolving then that becomes very painful. The intention here was to have
an unstable tree that is continually and rapidly evolving and a stable
tree where you can easily merge to because it isn't.

The other challenge is to support collaborative development of new
features where more than one person can be working on it. That means
making it easy to checkout and build the unstable tree.

There is nothing precluding what you are saying, either within the
unstable tree or in the sandbox.

--
Jeremy