geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Serialization vs. XML - NOT NOW PLEASE
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 16:16:54 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	Need we use all caps for this?  It seems kind of impolite.

IMO, YES.

The discussion has been going on for a week soaking up a lot of time.
We've already seen the kernel refactored with no discussion on the list,
now we're talking about competing implementations of different
mechanisms, kernel rearchitecture, changes in runtime footprint and
semantics and so on.

Meanwhile, we don't seem be making progress towards certification or the
1.0 release which a lot of people are asking for.

WE NEED TO STOP TINKERING AND SHIP A RELEASE.

(yes I am shouting)

> Also, who is authorized to decide when a discussion "has gone on long enough"?

Well, surely someone who is part of it ;-)

> 	Finally, I disagree.  I don't want to just drop the ball for an
> indeterminate period of time (or at least, what seems indeterminate to
> anyone who's not privy to the TCK testing status).  I can understand that
> you might not want to actually change the implementation in mid-stream if
> it's going to affect the testing process -- but surely we (especially
> those of "we" who are not actively TCK testing) can discuss and
> investigate some options in the mean time.  I promise to call a vote
> before making a change that could derail the certification testing.  :)
>
> Thanks,
> 	Aaron
>
> P.S. My biggest objection to this is really the "after certification"
> part, where we're not actually allowed to say how long we think that will
> be.

You chose not to participate in that process, I assume because your
"availability tends to vary over time." If you have time now to commit
to refactoring XML, can you instead help with the certification people
are asking for?

--
Jeremy