geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] API and Implementation serialization compatibility and upgrading
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 03:51:49 GMT
Sorry if this has already been answered but with all the mail delays ...

Hiram Chirino wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Yes you are right.  Our current activemq broker configuration is a bit
> simplistic.  I wish it was as easy to support complex broker
> configuration in geronimo as it is in spring.  With spring we can
> support a really rich broker configuration language see:
> http://activemq.codehaus.org/checkout/activemq/modules/core/src/conf/
> org/activemq/activemq.dtd
>
> The question is what's the simplest way to do something similar with
> geronimo?  I tried using the GBean approach and it took down a route
> that seemed like I was going to have to create gbean wrapper classes
> for each activemq component.  I was hoping for something more
> transparent since the ActiveMQ components are very IOCish I don't
> really see the need for extra gbean wrappers.

I am guessing that activemq-to-spring.xsl is converting an activemq
instance document described by the DTD into a Spring configuration file,
which Spring is then able to use to instantiate the broker components.
Is this right? (If not ignore the rest of this mail).

If this is true, it seems plausible that you could provide an
activemq-to-gbean.xsl that converted the instance document into a GBean
service configuration file containing multiple GBean definitions linked
together with GBean references and configured with attribute values.
Given you have a DTD I would assume the values would be simple types and
hence would not run into serialization problems.

You could also implement this as a Geronimo ConfigurationBuilder that
took an activemq instance document and converted it directly to a
Configuration which could then be directly installed into any server.

I'm sure you tried that and there must be some problem I can't see on
the surface - could you give us a bit more information on where it
wasn't working?

--
Jeremy