geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jlaskow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installation UI?
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 19:36:53 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	If we were going to offer this for installation purposes, we might
> as well make it a general-purpose configuration UI that can be used
> post-installation too.  Again, one of my priorities is the ability to
> change configurations without starting the server.  So would the GUI edit
> the configuration information in place?  I still have a strong preference
> for XML as opposed to serialized stuff -- I expect this would mean we'd
> want to define a startd XML format that all config stores would use (so
> they'd store the same XML, regardless of whether they store it in a DB,
> filesystem, etc. as opposed to each config store defining its own XML
> format or something).

It got me thinking about different serialization schemes. I don't know
how it works now, so it might already be available, but shouldn't we
abstract the serialization stuff and allow to plug in the one an
administrator wants? Currently, configuration is serializable, but does
it have to be? We could create a SPI (service provider interface) so
people could create their own implementation whereas the one that's
available now would serve as a reference.

> Aaron

Jacek