geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Installation UI?
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 02:41:13 GMT
Aaron's installation questions got me thinking about the UI for the
installer and the challenge of doing the initial configuration. We don't
really want people editing plans (vi + an XML file does not seem
user-friendly to me) so how can we provide them an alternative.

How about if we added a UI component to the configuration bundle? So in
addition to the state file (config.ser) there was also a UI component
that the bundle could provide for editing its manageable persistent
attributes.

This would have the advantage of allowing each bundle to provide a
better UI than a set of name/value pairs, and would avoid hard coding
any particular UI code into the installer.

--
Jeremy