geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] API and Implementation serialization compatibility and upgrading
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 01:00:04 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
<snip/>

> 	Also, wearing my end user hat, I'm not as concerned about this
> issue as stated -- Every time I upgrade, for example, JBoss, I install it
> into a new directory, reapply any configuration changes, and redeploy my
> apps.  It might be different if the product offered an "upgrade in place"
> install option.  Still, I upgrade pretty rarely.  So an easy upgrade path
> is probably for me, at best, a "nice to have".
>
> 	I'm more concerned about the inability to conveniently edit
> serialized configuration information, which I hope to take up on the other
> thread that Jeremy was going to start.  That is a lot more of a common
> issue for me -- more of a "must have".
>
> Aaron

As a user, I pretty much agree with Aaron (both points), with the
following additional comment on the first one:

Major version upgrades are relatively rare events, but applying patches
/ service packs / whatever they may be called is more common and
sometimes needs to be done quickly with minimal disruption.  Having to
redeploy all apps on a server to which a patch is applied is not ideal.
Having strange things happen after patches are applied is even less fun ;-)

So I guess it all depends on what exactly we mean by "upgrade"...

Phil