geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: API and serialization compatibility, was: Build Failure
Date Sat, 14 May 2005 20:22:14 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	Okay, well, as long as we've opened this can of worms...
>
> 	Jeremy, what is your intention WRT editing configurations without
> the server running?

You know I'm not going to give a short answer to a question like that
;-) I'm going to move it to another thread.

> For example, let's say you do a default install, but
> do not start the server.  Now you start a different product that binds to
> port 8080.
>
> 	At this point, I think you'll be unable to start Geronimo due to
> the port conflict (assuming that J2EE services are enabled).  You're also
> unable to change the Jetty port without re-installing, and then only if
> you use the installer rather than a ZIP distribution.  Needless to say,
> and web-based configuration or management system is also inaccessible.
>
> 	This certainly seems like a good case for XML based configuration
> state, where you could trivially edit a config file to change the Jetty
> port and *then* start the server.  But it's not the only option.  Do you
> have a vision for some kind of tool that would let you change the server
> configuration while it is not running?  Perhaps something that will let
> you deserialize and edit arbitrary configurations?
>
> 	I'm also assuming that the end user does not have access to (or
> substantial knowledge of) the plans used to construct the server in the
> first place.

I think that's not a good assumption. We should not expect them to be
hacking XML but reconstructing configurations should be a routine matter
not a /big thing/. But more in that other thread...

--
Jeremy