geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] API and Implementation serialization compatibility and upgrading
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 18:39:15 GMT
Slow down a minute.

I just looked at the activemq gbeans used in geronimo currently and
they appear to use for attributes only types from java.xxx.  As I
already indicated in a previous post, the possible problems come from
changing classes used as attributes and changing the GBeanInfo classes
themselves.  An incompatible change in GBeanInfo classes is very likely
to require redeployment of everything and redesign of the descriptors.
Since activemq is only using standard java types as gbean attributes,
activemq is free to change all their classes as they see fit and make
none of them serializable as long as the types and names of the gbean
attributes remain the same.

As far as the form of metadata needed for an IOC container, I currently
prefer GBeanInfo to the alternatives I am aware of.  I think it's
important to specify exactly what interface is presented to the
container, which IIUC spring does not require, and after working a lot
with the jboss xmlbean implementation and writing the xdoclet xmlbeans
plugin, I think that xml is perhaps the worst choice possible, and
javadoc tags not much better.

thanks
david jencks