geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IBM buys Gluecode
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 14:14:33 GMT

On May 10, 2005, at 9:17 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:36 -0700, Craig Johannsen wrote:
>
>> Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?
>> Will
>> IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the
>> vision of
>> the Geronimo project?
>>

> The key for Geronimo's success as an Apache project lies with the
> Geronimo community. If the Geronimo developer community == Gluecode
> employees then Geronimo was already in trouble with poor community
> diversity! So IBM buying Geronimo does not make any change on that
> front.

Yes.  This is all about community and participation.  We have been
working, and will be working to increase the community diversity...

> However, now that IBM too will have folks working on Geronimo (along
> with the new IBMers from the old Gluecode) that somewhat increases the
> challenge to Geronimo's leaders to make sure the community grows and
> stays healthy in terms of having good diversity. I have no doubt Geir,
> Jeremy and the other leaders of Geronimo realize this and will act
> with
> their Apache hats on to help ensure's Geronimo's success.

That's my hope.  Apache Geronimo is Apache Geronimo - an Apache
project in which all participants are welcome.  We leave our employer
hats at the door when it comes to building community and working with
others.

> IMO IBM will succeed in the Geronimo effort IFF Geronimo succeeds
> to its
> full potential in Apache .. that means it becomes/remains a true
> community project. However, there's no doubt that's not easy to do ..
> witness Xerces. I know the IBM folks realize the challenges and I have
> no doubt Geir and crew will avoid the pitfalls.
>
> Sanjiva.
> (an IBMer until a few weeks ago)

:)

geir