geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Geronimo subprojects?
Date Mon, 30 May 2005 20:59:28 GMT

On May 30, 2005, at 3:28 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> On May 28, 2005, at 1:41 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>>
>>> I think I wrote something a little confusing...let me clarify...
>>>
>>> What we do to a subset of Geronimo has impact on the whether it
>>> passes.  However if Geronimo passes the TCK, then a subset would
>>> include the features that passed.
>>>
>> Technically speaking, you couldn't make that claim.
>>

> Does the law of transitivity not apply here?  If Jetty passes the
> TCK, would its use on its own in a Geronimo Lite (i.e. G + Jetty
> only) not mean that we are using the passed component for web?

Strangely enough, apparently not, unless we used Jetty in exactly the
way it was packaged when it passed.

> My point was:
>
> Full G Change (where it passes) ---> G Lite contains passed code.
>
> but
>
> G Lite is changed -----> May impact full G's passing of TCK.
>
> Please clarify how this claim may not be valid.

I don't quite understand.  Your reasoning is logical, but the TCK is
a simple statement about the binary tested.  It passes, or it doesn't
pass.  That information isn't transitive to other binaries that
aren't the same.  You need to test those too...

geirm@apache.org