geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Serialization Vs. XML
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 18:07:48 GMT
On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 05:08:32PM -0700, David Jencks wrote:
> I have attempted to be clear all along that I fully support keeping
> serialization and think that the arguments against it are way
> overblown.  As such, depicting Jeremy as the sole holdout against the
> tide of xml-goodness is ludicrous.

I like object serialization as a sort of cache for fast startup, but don't buy into the idea
that it will be a good way to patch and upgrade the server.  If serialized object data is
our only way to store the current config data for an app, then users will be forced to throw
all that data away and start over with a new deployment of the app on the patched server.

-David