geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Serialization Vs. XML
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 17:58:21 GMT
On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 04:42:18PM -0700, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> The serialization Vs. XML discussion has been going for almost a week
> now and it doesn't look like we are getting sidetracked into subtle
> (yet important) points, so I'd like to take the oportunity to bring
> this up the the high level were everyone can participate.

Stated this in another thread, which i don't think anyone is reading anymore.

With the proper amount of forethought and code, you can get a very limited amount of compatibility
with serialization between class file versions.

Unless everyone who commits to Geronimo, Axis, ActiveMQ, Jetty, OpenEJB, Tomcat, etc. can
be convinced to do that, our existing system will never be a reliable way to store configuration
data across upgrades or patches.

Those are the facts.  My opinion is that it is unrealistic to expect such a high level of
serialization knowledge from all committers across all our codebases.

-David