geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From toby cabot <t...@caboteria.org>
Subject Re: Config management and installation
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 15:57:41 GMT
On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 01:48:54PM -0700, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> I was going to include background here but thought it was easier to
> place it directly on the wiki. It can be found at:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Architecture/ConfigurationManagement

Thanks, Jeremy, it's cool to get some insight into the "whys and
wherefores" that the code can't always convey.  I've got a couple of
questions about the wiki page, probably based on me failing to make a
required intuitive leap.  You make the point that Geronimo's
architecture is designed to support remote management, but I didn't
get a good sense of why or how the old (i.e. uninverted) architecture
fails to support remote management, especially given that most telecom
OSS/BSS systems are built on the old architecture, yet they seem to
allow for remote large-scale network node management.

I guess I don't understand how configuring applications is more or
less amenable to large-scale network management than configuring
servers (especially as a big NMS would call Geronimo itself an
"application").  Later in the page it seems like you're trying to
point out that Geronimo has more of a "pull" model in that it can pull
components from a trusted external source.  That would be cool in that
it would allow a fleet of Geronimo servers to do on their own a big
part of what a traditional NMS would do for other j2ee servers.

It would really help me (and probably others) "get it" if you could
provide an example of how the traditional architecture falls down and
the application-centric architecture succeeds.

Thanks,
Toby