geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject [POLL] API and Implementation serialization compatibility and upgrading
Date Sat, 14 May 2005 14:28:19 GMT
I really want to get some feedback from the developers, users, lurkers, other projects and
everyone on this subject.  It shouldn't be a taboo to talk about or considered a "can of worms"
or a "hot button."  It affects the project at pretty fundamental level, so I think it would
be good if we did our best to get feedback.

The problem:

  Upgrading apps between versions of Geronimo and it's integrated projects is not currently
possible without a redeploy.

The facts:
  - Our deploy system and storage of deployed apps is serialization based.
  - At deploy time we build and Jetty web containers, Tomcat web containers, ActiveMQ queues/topics,
OpenEJB ejb containers, Axis webservices, TranQL connectors and more
  - We serialize those objects which include not just what they consider to be their public
APIs but also the private implementations of those APIs.

The tricky part:
  - We, qualified in alphabetical order, ActiveMQ, Axis, Geronimo, Jetty, OpenEJB, Tomcat,
TranQL, et. al. cannot change our public API *or* private Implementation of our APIs and still
deserialize objects from a previous version.
  - Unless we (the projecst above) agree not to bug fix, optimize, refactor, repackage, or
reorganize our code in a way that would break deserialization of objects created with a previous
versions of our code, it will not be possible to upgrade applications leveraging these projects
without a redeploy.

PROJECT POLL:
  [ ]  We will do our best to ensure the implementations of our APIs are serialization compatible
to future versions of our code.
  [ ]  We do our best to ensure our public APIs, but use of our implementations in such a
way is not supported by us.

USER POLL:
  [ ]  I do not mind redeploying my applications on each upgrade of Geronimo et. al.
  [ ]  I do not want to start from scratch on each upgrade of Geronimo et. al.

-David