geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Geronimo subprojects?
Date Mon, 30 May 2005 18:22:57 GMT

On May 28, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> I just read through the long "Module restructure" thread, and it to
> me is seems like many people are talking about how we break
> Geronimo into subprojects without using the word subproject.

That may be where it went to out of confusion, but I think the
original point was how to get organized so we can have a stable tree
that is what those of us interested in a sable certified release work
in while other work can continue.

> The goals of the "Module restructure" thread seem to be:
>
> 1) allow modules to branch to unstable without requiring the
> geronimo trunk to take unstable code

I would have gone the other way - branch out the stable and let work
continue in trunk, and loony things go off to a sandbox.

> 2) allow modules to have independent release cycles so they don't
> have to wait for geronimo trunk
>
> Regardless what we call it, that is a sub project.  I think we
> should bite the bullet and talk about what sets of functionality
> make sense as a subproject.  For example, I think there is a
> demonstrated desire to have a TX/JCA subproject in Geronimo.

The problem with trying to force the language to be "subproject"
rather than "module" is that "subproject" is a loaded word at apache
with different meaning - in that it has historically, from jakarta,
tended to mean separate, autonomous projects that live under a
project umbrella.  I don't think anyone here is advocating that, and
I'd prefer we not have to explain what we mean over and over to the
rest of the Apache community....

geir

geirm@apache.org