geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [HUMOR] Re: [POLL] API and Implementation serialization compatibility and upgrading
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 03:27:55 GMT
Jeremy,

hehehe...problem is i just added some Serializable stuff in axis w/o
even thinking about it because Geronimo guys told me they needed it.
now, i can't change it :(

-- dims

On 5/14/05, Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org> wrote:
> <humor>
> Oh, for Pete's sake, this poll is about as Fair and Balanced as Fox News.
>
> How about:
>
> PROJECT POLL:
>    [ ] We, ${projectName}, didn't really mean it when we said something
>        was Serializable and feel free to change our APIs and
>        implementation at any time without telling you.
>
>    [ ] We do our best to ensure our public APIs, but use of them is not
>        supported by us. Good luck guys.
>
> USER POLL:
>    [ ] I am a ${otherProject} user and quite like the incompatibilities
>        between even minor dot releases - it gives my admins something to
>        do. Please make sure ${projectName} behaves this way as well
>
>    [ ] I believe the safest way to upgrade something is to wipe out
>        everything that is there and start over every time. That way
>        I don't get cooties from old software.
>
> </humor>
>
> OK, so it probably isn't that funny but let's at least have a serious
> discussion about this.
>
> --
> Jeremy
>
> David Blevins wrote:
> > I really want to get some feedback from the developers, users, lurkers, other projects
and everyone on this subject.  It shouldn't be a taboo to talk about or considered a "can
of worms" or a "hot button."  It affects the project at pretty fundamental level, so I think
it would be good if we did our best to get feedback.

> > The problem:
> >
> >   Upgrading apps between versions of Geronimo and it's integrated projects is not
currently possible without a redeploy.

> > The facts:
> >   - Our deploy system and storage of deployed apps is serialization based.
> >   - At deploy time we build and Jetty web containers, Tomcat web containers, ActiveMQ
queues/topics, OpenEJB ejb containers, Axis webservices, TranQL connectors and more
> >   - We serialize those objects which include not just what they consider to be their
public APIs but also the private implementations of those APIs.

> > The tricky part:
> >   - We, qualified in alphabetical order, ActiveMQ, Axis, Geronimo, Jetty, OpenEJB,
Tomcat, TranQL, et. al. cannot change our public API *or* private Implementation of our APIs
and still deserialize objects from a previous version.
> >   - Unless we (the projecst above) agree not to bug fix, optimize, refactor, repackage,
or reorganize our code in a way that would break deserialization of objects created with a
previous versions of our code, it will not be possible to upgrade applications leveraging
these projects without a redeploy.

> > PROJECT POLL:
> >   [ ]  We will do our best to ensure the implementations of our APIs are serialization
compatible to future versions of our code.
> >   [ ]  We do our best to ensure our public APIs, but use of our implementations
in such a way is not supported by us.

> > USER POLL:
> >   [ ]  I do not mind redeploying my applications on each upgrade of Geronimo et.
al.