geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: IBM buys Gluecode
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 04:17:48 GMT
On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:36 -0700, Craig Johannsen wrote:
> Hey!  This is a surprise.  Is this ultimately good for Geronimo?  Will
> IBM's business objectives for Websphere distort or limit the vision of
> the Geronimo project?

The key for Geronimo's success as an Apache project lies with the
Geronimo community. If the Geronimo developer community == Gluecode
employees then Geronimo was already in trouble with poor community
diversity! So IBM buying Geronimo does not make any change on that
front.

However, now that IBM too will have folks working on Geronimo (along
with the new IBMers from the old Gluecode) that somewhat increases the
challenge to Geronimo's leaders to make sure the community grows and
stays healthy in terms of having good diversity. I have no doubt Geir,
Jeremy and the other leaders of Geronimo realize this and will act with
their Apache hats on to help ensure's Geronimo's success.

IMO IBM will succeed in the Geronimo effort IFF Geronimo succeeds to its
full potential in Apache .. that means it becomes/remains a true
community project. However, there's no doubt that's not easy to do ..
witness Xerces. I know the IBM folks realize the challenges and I have
no doubt Geir and crew will avoid the pitfalls.

Sanjiva.
(an IBMer until a few weeks ago)