geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stable/Unstable/Sandbox
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:53:19 GMT

On May 31, 2005, at 7:21 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:50:43AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Can we agree that we need to somehow construct the stable, unstable
>> and sandbox codebases?
>>

> I don't think we have agreed on what is stable and what is unstable.

Fair enough - but can we agree that we need the *distinction* and
then decide what goes *in*?

> We were having a discussion on the fact that it is now impossible
> to offer a stable upgrade/patch path for applications.  That thread
> was killed with "PLEASE CAN WE PUT IT ON HOLD UNTIL AFTER
> CERTIFICATION."
>
> Now Jeremy has proposed that we ignore that discussion and begin
> cementing what we currently have as stable.  How is that at all fair?

I think that what Jeremy has proposed actually fixes that, doesn't it?

We can have a stable area that we focus on going for cert and then
version 1.0, and a unstable area where innovation and change (like
the serialization experimentation) can happen - then things that work
can be brought to stable, w/o affecting the work for cert and 1.0

geir

geirm@apache.org