geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject nightly builds -- another perspective
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:10:03 GMT
I apologize for not contributing to this discussion earlier.

I don't have a clear idea of the goals of a nightly build:

 From the users perspective,
To be able to run geronimo, all you need is the assembly jar.

To be able to build geronimo by itself, you need there to be up to date
tranql and openejb jars in a remote repository.

 From this point of view, running maven multiproject:deploy in several
places is sufficient.

If people want some other artifact as a result of a nightly build, I
would like to know what it is and what use it provides.

 From the developers perspective, I believe one goal is to verify that
the "entire project" builds "cleanly" with "no inappropriate
dependencies"

entire project == geronimo, tranql, tranql-connector, openejb

cleanly == offline, with no artifacts that will be built in the local
repository, and attempts to build each module/project only once.

no inappropriate dependencies == modules/(maven) projects can be built
in groups from the same project, in order.

Let me expand on that.   Currently the only way to build everything
once is to use maven m:rebuild.  This takes geronimo, tranql,
tranql-connector, and openejb, puts all the subprojects in a pile, and
lets maven figure out an order to build them in.  As we have
discovered, this lets people do things like make a geronimo module
depend on an openejb module.  Since openejb depends on geronimo, this
is an unacceptable circular dependency.  To avoid this kind of circular
dependency, there needs to be a division of each project into sets of
modules, where these modules can be cleanly built in order.  Here is an
example of such sets:

geronimo-specs
tranql
tranql-connector
maven xmlbeans plugin
geronimo-modules without assembly
geronimo plugins except xmlbeans
openejb core and builder
geronimo applications
geronimo assembly
openejb assembly
openejb itests

It is extremely important to make sure a build in this order can
proceed offline with a maven repo that contains no artifacts generated
by the build.  Otherwise it is all to easy to introduce dependencies on
artifacts that are no longer being generated.

Since I've been whining about these requirements for several months and
no one else has done anything about them I added a simple way to build
in this fashion on systems with bash.  After checking out the
additional projects in the locations expected by the m: build
(tranql/tranql, tranql/connector, and openejb), run ./buildall.sh

So far I've checked that the build does work.  Now that I've checked it
in I will see if the deploy step works, on a system without my local
modifications.

Many thanks,
david jencks