geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Problems with the jsr 921 ewebsvcs 1.1. spec
Date Sat, 02 Apr 2005 21:32:09 GMT
I think there are some problems with the ewebsvcs 1.1 spec (jsr 921).
I'd like some review of my conclusions before I send this to the expert
group.

Many thanks,
david jencks

The section 7.3.2.2 has at least three errors making any interpretation
of the spec problematical if not impossible.

1. The example schema is invalid.   A top level element cannot have
minOccurs or maxOccurs attributes.  Therefore use case 3, p 63, does
not exist.

2. The rules do not correspond to the examples.  Rule 3.a:
a. If E has a name attribute, then the name of A is
"E[<minOccursValue>,<maxOccursValue>]" where E is the value of E’s name
attribute. The name is entered as an anonymous-type-qname.

Aside from the overloading of "E" to mean a string and an element in a
schema sml document, this clearly states that the name for example 6 is

X:inside[,10] or inside[1,10]

rather than the claimed

X:>root>inside[,10]

This is clearly the only possible interpretation of rule 3.a in the
context of the other rules.  All other rules that extend the name of an
enclosing element or type explicitly include the use of the enclosing
items name in the construction of the current items name.  These rules
are 1.b and 2.b:

1.b:
If T has no name attribute, then its name is “>E” where E is the name
of its enclosing element. The name is entered as an
anonymous-type-qname.

2.b:
If E is not at the root level, then the name “T>N” where T is the name
of the enclosing type and N is the value of the name attribute. The
name is entered as an anonymous-type-qname.

The name shown in example 6 appears to have been constructed using a
rule such as:

If E has a name attribute, then the name of A is
"Ename[<minOccursValue>,<maxOccursValue>]" where Ename is the name of
element E as specified in rule 2.

3.  Rule 3 distinguishes between the cases where an element has a name
attribute and where it is a reference to a global element.  Rule 2 is
therefore incomplete since there is no case for local elements that are
references, lacking a name attribute.