geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Geronimo PMC Managed, project-specific Maven Repository
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:36:33 GMT

On Apr 1, 2005, at 4:53 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2005, at 11:17 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>> No, but I worry about just bundling random whatever from outside the
>>> project with our releases.  It would help to use the svn revision on
>>> the jar, but we should really make it clear that it's something the
>>> geronimo project created for it's use, rather than confuse people
>>> that it might be an artifact from ActiveMQ.  The word 'SNAPSHOT'
>>> would help.
>>
>> SNAPSHOT has a specific meaning to Maven - it will cause it to check
>> the remote repo for a newer version (by timestamp) even if a copy
>> exists in the local repo.
>>
>> This is good for daily builds, a nightmare for anything where
>> consistency is required.
>>
>> So when we decide to do a milestone (or release) we need to ensure
>> there are no dependencies on versions with SNAPSHOT in them and
>> instead use ones that contain a SVN revision number or a CVS
>> timestamp:
>>
>> bad:    foo-bar-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
>> ok:     foo-bar-1.3-20050401.jar
>> better: foo-bar-1.3-158653.jar
>
> Going back to the original issue of an external project not wishing to
> do a release, we want to make it clear that this is something that we
> threw together ad hoc, and not something published by the external
> project.

The upside to having a geronimo committer build the artifact himself
from source is that you have a better oversight in knowing from what
source code a binary was produced.  Perhaps we should tag the file name
with something, so it obvious it's an ad hoc build that an apache
committer through together.

> And I'm still not comfortable doing something like that in a real
> geronimo release.

I agree it's not the best solution, but it's something we have to deal
with.  Unless you are willing to hold up on doing geronimo releases
until all it's dependent software does an official release.  And then
this would apply transitively, such that you would have to wait till a
SNAPSHOT dependency of activemq is has been officially released.  etc.

Regards,
Hiram