geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: GBean Last Startup
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 06:11:32 GMT
Would you do the switching via JNI?

How would you handle the situation where Tomcat needs to be stopped and
restarted for some reason... stopping those GBeans that bind to ports
lower than 1024 and restarting them whilst other parts of Geronimo remain
running.  Wouldn't that involve increasing the privileges for the whole
JVM whilst the GBeans bind to their ports, therefore there would be a
window that could be exploited where the process has extra privileges?

Would a safer (but slower) alternative be to run Geronimo under root under
a Java security manager with the Java security policy setting allowed
ports, files etc?

There is an interesting discussion of alternative options in this mail
thread:

http://www.networksecurityarchive.org/html/Focus-Sun/2004-09/msg00010.html

http://www.networksecurityarchive.org/html/Focus-Sun/2004-09/msg00014.html

John