geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Geronimo PMC Managed, project-specific Maven Repository
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:53:00 GMT

On Mar 31, 2005, at 11:17 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> No, but I worry about just bundling random whatever from outside the
>> project with our releases.  It would help to use the svn revision on
>> the jar, but we should really make it clear that it's something the
>> geronimo project created for it's use, rather than confuse people
>> that it might be an artifact from ActiveMQ.  The word 'SNAPSHOT'
>> would help.
>
> SNAPSHOT has a specific meaning to Maven - it will cause it to check
> the remote repo for a newer version (by timestamp) even if a copy
> exists in the local repo.
>
> This is good for daily builds, a nightmare for anything where
> consistency is required.
>
> So when we decide to do a milestone (or release) we need to ensure
> there are no dependencies on versions with SNAPSHOT in them and
> instead use ones that contain a SVN revision number or a CVS
> timestamp:
>
> bad:    foo-bar-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
> ok:     foo-bar-1.3-20050401.jar
> better: foo-bar-1.3-158653.jar

Going back to the original issue of an external project not wishing to
do a release, we want to make it clear that this is something that we
threw together ad hoc, and not something published by the external
project.

And I'm still not comfortable doing something like that in a real
geronimo release.

geir

geirm@apache.org