geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Geronimo PMC Managed, project-specific Maven Repository
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:12:06 GMT
On Apr 4, 2005, at 3:53 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2005, at 5:48 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> Even further, I don't think pressuring projects into giving us an
>> officially named version of our SNAPSHOT when they aren't ready to
>> release is a solution either.  Then we are just turning a blind eye
>> and saying, "not my problem."
>
> Well, if we are working closely with a project (like OpenEJB,
> ActiveMQ, HOWL, etc) and they do that it's time to reconsider working
> so closely with them, IMO.  I'm not saying that projects should
> release for us on a whim because they are independent and have other
> parts of their community to cater to, and I know things will settle
> down, but there are lots of users that wouldn't take things seriously
> until the pedigree of the OSS we're using is clear, and it wouldn't be
> if we were issuing our own snapshots of external dependencies.

Geir, I think your comments are way too hard of a line to take.  Let's
put this back in context.  David originally wrote the following:

--------------------------------------
You do realize we are talking about two different things here.  No one
in their right mind would propose SNAPSHOT dependencies are a good idea
for releases of any kind.  Not only do I strongly agree, I think we
shouldn't switch something back to SNAPSHOT after a release.

Even further, I don't think pressuring projects into giving us an
officially named version of our SNAPSHOT when they aren't ready to
release is a solution either.  Then we are just turning a blind eye and
saying, "not my problem."
--------------------------------------

The reality is our timeline are not likely to align with most projects.
  There will be tough times when a project is focused on another task
and not ready to cut a release (much like geronimo is now focused on
certification).  In times like that, how do you propose we "reconsider
working so closely with them".  Would we fork a project because they
wanted to wait a 3 weeks for an official release?  Would we replace the
project?  Most of the projects you listed are simply irreplaceable.

I think you need to be more flexible.  This is especially true when
dealing with a volunteer organization.

-dain