geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Proposal for login modules for a GenericSecurityRealm
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:55:56 GMT
At the moment there is a problem with GenericSecurityRealm.  The
loginModuleConfiguration attribute takes, effectively, a list of login
domain gbeans, and GenericSecurityRealm expects them all to be started.
  There is no way at the moment to constrain them to be started:
sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I can think of 2 approaches to solve this problem.

(1) (can be implemented now).  Write a LoginModuleHolder gbean that has
a reference to the login domain gbean and a next LoginModuleHolder,
thus forming a linked list.  The GenericSecurityRealm gets a reference
to a LoginModuleHolder, so it won't start until all the login modules
have started.  Additional attributes such as the
REQUIRED/OPTIONAL/SUFFICIENT flag can be included in the
LoginModuleHolder gbean.

advantages:  can be done now fairly simply.

disadvantages: creates a lot of gbeans with no function except
dependency management, will be a real nuisance to set up without some
kind of builder support.  It might be possible to use an xml-attribute
on the GenericSecurityRealm to generate the extra gbeans.

(2) (would require kernel changes)  Add a new reference collection type
that is something like an ordered list of explicitly named references.
If the objects in the list could be something with additional
attributes, perhaps even something described by  a GBeanInfo, that
would be even better.

advantages: avoids extra gbeans that don't really do anything.  Elegant
solution.

disadvantages: complicates kernel and may be difficult to implement.
Anyway it requires new functionality.

There's already a similar situation in the Jetty integration with
filter holders, which are a linked list of gbeans with little function
other than to make things happen in a particular order.  So, there are
at least 2 places that would benefit from (2).

While we discuss this I plan to implement (1) for the
GenericSecurityRealm.

thanks
david jencks