geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: nightly builds -- another perspective
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:25:59 GMT

On Apr 28, 2005, at 6:32 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:

> --- David Jencks <djencks@gluecode.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to attempt to clarify one of my main
>> points.

<snip>
>     Maven 2 uses 'scope' to limit the transitivity of
> the dependency. What is the nature of dependency of
> openejb on geronimo compiletime/runtime/testtime? What
> about tranql?

Currently, and for a long time, the "uber-build" works, where all
subprojects/modules from geronimo, tranql, tranql-connector, and
openejb are put in a big pile and maven figures out an order to build
them in.  This demonstrates that there are no circular dependencies on
the subproject/module level.   But, in my view, if we accept this level
of structure, we should combine all this into one project and abandon
separate tranql and openejb.  I don't think anyone wants to do  this.

I think we need to divide the big pile of modules into groups that
(1) can be built from scratch in order
(2) align with project boundaries

Here's one way to do that:

<snip>
>>> geronimo-specs
>>> tranql
>>> tranql-connector
>>> maven xmlbeans plugin
>>> geronimo-modules without assembly
>>> geronimo plugins except xmlbeans
>>> openejb core and builder
>>> geronimo applications
>>> geronimo assembly
>>> openejb assembly
>>> openejb itests

<snip>

>     What do you do to get around the circular
> dependency?

Hopefully the above answers this question :-).  One problem talking
about this is that the words module, project, and subproject have too
many meanings.  I don't have a solution for that problem yet :-)

thanks
david jencks