geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Geronimo PMC Managed, project-specific Maven Repository
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:02:07 GMT

On Mar 31, 2005, at 8:40 PM, Hiram Chirino wrote:

>>> Not sure why you think we would not use snapshots.  For example, if
>>> we were releasing M4, it would have to ship with a SNAPSHOT of
>>> activemq 3.0 since it's not ready to be released yet.  We would
>>> generate numbered snapshot using the svn revision number of the
>>> activemq sources.
>>
>> Ah - of other stuff.  I figured there was something missing.
>>
>> Interesting question.  Could we ask ActiveMQ to do a
>> ActiveMQ-3.0-pre-alpha-don'tuse.jar (or whatever they wanted to call
>> it)?  yes, that would be a snapshot, but since it better be a
>> functional snapshot (rather than somewhat random), couldn't that be a
>> milestone release from ActiveMQ if we asked really, really nicely?
>>

> What's the difference between that and me building a
> ActiveMQ-3.0-20050115-SNAPSHOT.jar ??  It's the same in my eyes.  The
> ActiveMQ folks don't want to keep snapshots like that around since
> that just increases the release management overhead.  ActiveMQ likes
> to keep it simple... we don't do mile stones or release candidates or
> alphas or betas or any of that stuff.
>
> I think we just need to be flexible.  Other projects in the future may
> not be able to do a release just for a Milestone release of Geronimo.

No, but I worry about just bundling random whatever from outside the
project with our releases.  It would help to use the svn revision on
the jar, but we should really make it clear that it's something the
geronimo project created for it's use, rather than confuse people that
it might be an artifact from ActiveMQ.  The word 'SNAPSHOT' would help.

I also would have thought that the ActiveMQ project wouldn't want
activeMQ-*.jar floating around out there where they didn't choose *...

We'll figure it out...

geir

geir@gluecode.com