geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Day, Jem BGI SF" <Jem....@barclaysglobal.com>
Subject RE: Geronimo architecture issue
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:50:10 GMT
Alonso,

  Based on your comments you 'may' want to have a look at an implementation
  of the OSGi framework (http://www.osgi.org), there are a number of OpenSource
  offerings - it's used inside Eclipse now.

  Spring 'may' be another item of interest : http://www.springframework.org/

Jem...

-----Original Message-----
From: A. Alonso Dominguez [mailto:alonso.domin@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 11:24 AM
To: dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Geronimo architecture issue

Hi to all!

I'm working in the implementation of a multi-layer project. My
intention is writting some distributed web applications in the top of
a Excalibur (Avalon) framework. The intended audience of my project
should be enterprises with different kind of needs and even home
users.

For doing this I thinked about a pluggable platform that offers
different kind of services, the user (system admin) decides what
services must be up in the system. This can be done with a Loom
(Phoenix) micro-kernel and several *.sar files that implement each
service - examples of services are a Jetty, James, EJB. The reason for
this is that home users don't need to give an email service (such
James, for example) but enterprise users does. If people install in
their system services that they don't need, the platform will be too
heavy and inefficient, that's why I would like to use an abstract
pluggable platform.

I realized that most of the services of my platform are being
developed by the Geronimo team, but my intention is not to write a
J2EE certified container and I don't want to lose time reinventing the
wheel so my questions are:

- Will Geronimo do that for me? Is Geronimo a pluggable platform?
- Shall I develop my own platform with that features or can I begin
from another project already planned?

Regards,
Alonso