geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GBean Last Startup
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:24:34 GMT
Mark wrote:
> David Jencks wrote:
>

>> I may not understand exactly what you are proposing but I think it
>> won't work :-)  When a gbean is started, the constructor is called,
>> all the attributes and references not present as constructor args are
>> set, and doStart() is called before the framework goes on to another
>> gbean.
>

> Ok, thanks for the GBean clarification.  Based on what you've written
> below, I think we are on the same page. :-)
>
> I can see Unix users wanting to have the web server port 80 active.  In
> another thread there was the suggestion of placing the server behind a
> firewall and using port forwarding to the app server.  In my experience,
> we've had customers not wanting to use the firewall port forwarding.
> For now this is not a major issue.
>
> Let me think about this a little more...

You may also have isues with files created during the startup phase when
the effective user is root - they may not be readable after you have
switched to a less privileged user.

Another option may be to run an external process as root and then have
it proxy requests to the Geronimo server on a non-privleged port or via
a local transport such as shared memory. That external process could be
something like httpd with mod_jk or mod_proxy, or it could be a stripped
down Geronimo instance with a forwarding GBean (which you would have to
write).

This may also give you additional load balancing options.

Or, you could always use a real load-balancer which will also do the
port redirect ;-)

--
Jeremy