geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@savoirtech.com>
Subject New Tomcat Changes
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:12:23 GMT
I have made some major changes to the Tomcat module that makes it much
more viable in Geronimo.  I will briefly explain them in this email, but
will update the Wiki with the detail.

The biggest changes are the support for the Engine, Host, Realm, and
Connector objects.  I have created GBean wrappers around these Tomcat
objects, and provided for dependencies between them which follows the
Tomcat rules for these objects.

This means there is no need for a server.xml file.  The equivalent of
this file is the j2ee-server-tomcat.xml plan.  Its layout is similar to
the server.xml from a dependency perspective, file where, we have our
container (service), and dependencies with the engine and host gbeans.
The realm gbean can be applied at the engine and host level.  This
allows Tomcat to declaritively use the Geronimo security model with JAAS
or JACC.  There are 2 realms that must be used if you wish to use JAAS
or JAAC.  This is the TomcatJAASRealm (for JAAS) or TomcatGeronimoRealm
(for JACC).

I also added a Tomcat Builder so we will no longer rely on the Jetty
version.  The main reason for this is that Tomcat supports virtual hosts
(declared by additional HostGBean objects in the plan).  The web
applications can now include a geronimo-tomcat.xml file in the WEB-INF
file which is very similar to the Jetty version.  The only difference is
support for the <virtual-server> parameter.  This allows you to deploy
your web application to a specific virtual host.

TODO: The context object within the plan to predeclare a context
placeholder(like in a server.xml).  I will be working on this to
finalize the Tomcat integration.

Jeff