geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Geronimo PMC Managed, project-specific Maven Repository
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:01:02 GMT

Hiram Chirino wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2005, at 4:53 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> SNAPSHOT has a specific meaning to Maven - it will cause it to check
>>> the remote repo for a newer version (by timestamp) even if a copy
>>> exists in the local repo.
>>>
>>> This is good for daily builds, a nightmare for anything where
>>> consistency is required.
>>>
>>> So when we decide to do a milestone (or release) we need to ensure
>>> there are no dependencies on versions with SNAPSHOT in them and
>>> instead use ones that contain a SVN revision number or a CVS timestamp:
>>>
>>> bad:    foo-bar-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>> ok:     foo-bar-1.3-20050401.jar
>>> better: foo-bar-1.3-158653.jar
>>

>> Going back to the original issue of an external project not wishing
>> to do a release, we want to make it clear that this is something that
>> we threw together ad hoc, and not something published by the external
>> project.
>>

> The upside to having a geronimo committer build the artifact himself
> from source is that you have a better oversight in knowing from what
> source code a binary was produced.  Perhaps we should tag the file
> name with something, so it obvious it's an ad hoc build that an apache
> committer through together.

foo-bar-1.3-adhoc-geronimo-158653.jar

This way it's clear that this jar was specifically for an ad hoc
geronimo snapshot.  Another nice thing about having adhoc-geronimo in
the name is that when you browse your local repo, it's easy to spot the
ad hoc geronimo jars.  Finding these jars using the find command is
simplified when jars are "taged" with these tokens in their jar names.

I'm not married to the token adhoc-geronimo but, you get the idea.
Actually as I think about it, would one want to make the tag name as
unweldy as possible to deter non-geronimo projects from relying on our
maven repo as a means of distribution?

Regards,
Alan