geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hari Kodungallur <hkodungal...@spikesource.com>
Subject maven repo
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:59:01 GMT
I read through the discussion about the need for a maven repository
containing all the dependency jar files. I totally agree with that fact.
In addition, I have a suggestion.
Most likely users are going to be building from the latest code (tip of
the trunk) or a milestone release (tip of a tag/branch). I am,
obviously, assuming that the number of users needing to build from a
particular revision in the past (and that revision being a non-milestone
revision) is pretty small.
So with that in mind, in addition to the central maven repository, each
milestone revision can also zip up the maven repository that is needed
by the release -- downlaodable separately or as part of the geronimo
binary. If the build is done on a clean box (with nothing in
~/.maven/repositroy before the start of the build), then this repository
is simply an archive of ~/.maven/repository directory. That way if there
are any jar files that change overtime (like the SNAPSHOT jar files),
they are archived. A user wanting to build a milestone source can just
unzip the maven repository archive into his/her .maven/repository and
then just do an offline build. The user who is building from the latest
code just relies on whatever is the latest in the central maven repository.
It does add a bit of redundancy, but I just wanted to throw the idea out
there to see if its practical/viable.

Regards,
-Hari