geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Geronimo PMC Managed, project-specific Maven Repository
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 04:17:48 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> No, but I worry about just bundling random whatever from outside the
> project with our releases.  It would help to use the svn revision on the
> jar, but we should really make it clear that it's something the geronimo
> project created for it's use, rather than confuse people that it might
> be an artifact from ActiveMQ.  The word 'SNAPSHOT' would help.

SNAPSHOT has a specific meaning to Maven - it will cause it to check the
remote repo for a newer version (by timestamp) even if a copy exists in
the local repo.

This is good for daily builds, a nightmare for anything where
consistency is required.

So when we decide to do a milestone (or release) we need to ensure there
are no dependencies on versions with SNAPSHOT in them and instead use
ones that contain a SVN revision number or a CVS timestamp:

bad:    foo-bar-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar
ok:     foo-bar-1.3-20050401.jar
better: foo-bar-1.3-158653.jar

--