geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Geronimo PMC Managed, project-specific Maven Repository
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:17:27 GMT
On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 05:37:32PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2005, at 4:45 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:10:55PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> >>
> >>Even before we're 1.0, I would expect that our 0.8 and 0.9 stuff
> >>are becoming good enough for some dependable use, and thus we
> >>should only depend on released software.
> >
> >What is 0.8 and 0.9?
>
> Oh, sorry.  I keep thinking in terms of versions leading up to a 1.0
> release.  I know we don't do that here (yet), but just think of things
> that way.

I totally get your point, but the thing I don't like about that style for pre-1.0 software
is that it is essentially a countdown to 1.0, and we can't predict how many releases it's
going to take.  Then you just naturally start adding dots to the end of the release number
when you hit 9 and you end up with versions like 0.9.2 or 0.9.5.3.

It's like when kids play hide-and-go-seek.  If the kid counting wants more time he starts
yelling off fractions when they hit 9, "7... 8... 9... 9 and 1/2... 9 and 3/4...."

I'd prefer we be more aggressive with the milestones (however many we need) until we are ready
to muster up a release candidate (RC) that we expect to be the final 1.0 release baring any
critical issues.  Then we do dot revisions for the remainder of the 1.x branch releases.

When work starts on 2.x, we issue milestones on that till it's ready for an RC and final.
 Dot revisions after that.  Same for 3.x, 4.x and so on.

-David