geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Geronimo PMC Managed, project-specific Maven Repository
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 04:30:05 GMT
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 10:02:07PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2005, at 8:40 PM, Hiram Chirino wrote:
> >
> >What's the difference between that and me building a
> >ActiveMQ-3.0-20050115-SNAPSHOT.jar ??  It's the same in my eyes.  The
> >ActiveMQ folks don't want to keep snapshots like that around since
> >that just increases the release management overhead.  ActiveMQ likes
> >to keep it simple... we don't do mile stones or release candidates or
> >alphas or betas or any of that stuff.
> >
> >I think we just need to be flexible.  Other projects in the future may
> >not be able to do a release just for a Milestone release of Geronimo.
> No, but I worry about just bundling random whatever from outside the
> project with our releases.  It would help to use the svn revision on
> the jar, but we should really make it clear that it's something the
> geronimo project created for it's use, rather than confuse people that
> it might be an artifact from ActiveMQ.  The word 'SNAPSHOT' would help.
> I also would have thought that the ActiveMQ project wouldn't want
> activeMQ-*.jar floating around out there where they didn't choose *...
> We'll figure it out...

I have a non-hypothetical example with a newer "sister" project, Axis.

We have a SNAPSHOT dependency on that project because we are still
doing work on webservices and I occasionally have to send patches
which i need applied before I can check in.

They are very quick with applying patches (thanks!), but our svn moves
very quickly and we have to go ahead with our end of the changes and
occasionally use a "pre-commit" patched jar for a day or two before we
can switch back to the snapshots.

They publish snapshots four times a day, which is more than we need.
We really don't need a snapshot dependency, just the latest patched
code that we developed and tested against.

As far as releases go, they are coming up on the big 1.2.  After that,
they will be winding down the 1.x branch and releasing less.  Our
releasing cycles are only going to be picking up as we go forward.

Dims and crew are very generous with their time and I would feel bad
even asking them to release on our schedule.  They put an awful lot
of work into their releases just as we do, so asking them for releases
every now and then is a big request.

Anyone have any ideas on what we could/should be doing?  Floor's open
to anyone with ideas....

View raw message