geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Geronimo PMC Managed, project-specific Maven Repository
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 07:36:04 GMT

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>   We are able to include binary jars from other outside projects in our
> official releases, because
> a) it's clear that we are the publisher of the combined work
>     that is our release
> b) there has been sufficient oversight by the releasing PMC
>    to ensure that the licenses and re-distribution terms for
>    the third party jars are appropriate
 c) we are tracking those third party jars, ensuring that they
    are readily recognizable as third party (e.g. by putting them
    in a separate directory) and have full control to make sure that
    the license agreements are tracked.

> In order to do have a maven repo that includes third party jars, we must
> a) make it clear that we are *NOT* the publisher of the third party
>     jars, but we are just redistributing it under appropriate terms
>     as defined by the publisher
  c) and we track the license which allows us to re-distribute. This is
     usually the same license under which our users can re-distributed;
     though there are exceptions (think some of the SUN artefacts where
     the ASF secretariat has a separate document on file).
> b) we can demonstrate that the PMC had oversight and control
>     over the contents of the repository to monitor  the content,
>     license and re-dist terms

View raw message