geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: John Sisson - new Apache Geronimo committer
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:52:09 GMT

On Apr 6, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> This fascinates me...do people actually have to get permission to
> become a committer or member of the ASF?

Depends on your situation.

Many employers in the US have as part of the employment agreement terms
that establish ownership of development work you do.  The terms of this
vary by company.

So we offer the CCLA as a vehicle in which the committer can get
explicit permission from his/her employer, as a way of protecting that
committer from their employer taking issue with it later.  It's never
good to just go on a "wink and a nod" from a manager, if that manager
many not be around later...

geir

geir@gluecode.com