geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Dedicated maven repo
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:04:03 GMT

On Mar 30, 2005, at 6:37 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2005, at 5:57 AM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>>
>> This does not per-see preclde the ASF from allowing non ASF code to be
>> distributed from ASF environments. However we do try to avoid it as it
>> dillute our message:. Ideally we want to say 'anything you download
>> from
>> here is under the ASF license and has peer review and the full
>> backing of
>> the ASF community).
>>
>> While not encouraged -do- feel free to propose a structure in which
>> this
>> is possible; which has URLs and webpages clearly denoting the status
>> of
>> the alien code, etc.
>
> Dirk - We are looking to use a mechanical system (maven0 to fetch the
> jars, so a user wouldn't necessarily know if the source the jars that
> were being used to build/run came from Apache or iBiblio or another
> repository - they aren't reading a web page.  It just happens when
> they build.
>
> All - For now, we could make a first step by just putting the geronimo
> build artifacts on geronimo.apache.org/maven - namely the spec jars
> (for now, more on that laster), the geronimo-* jars from modules.  If
> we make publishing snapshot jars the custom whenever a change is
> committed (manually via maven deploy now, auto later), we can probably
> go a long way towards reducing some of the build misery that we go
> through.
>
> I'm +1, and happy to limit the ASF-hosted repo to our build artifacts
> to get started, and use the external proposed repo at Gluecode as a
> replacement for ibiblio as our primary source for external
> dependencies, because iBiblio is so slow and painful at times.
>
> geir

Maintaining our own repos would also allow us to solve the SNAPSHOT
dependency problem we currently have.  We could have a procedure, that
before a release (say the M4 release), we copy the geronimo repo
http://geronimo.apache.org/maven to http://geronimo.apache.org/M4/maven
and update the build so that it builds against the M4 repo.  And we
just never touch the SNAPSHOTs again so that the source distribution of
M4 can always build against the M4 repo.

Regards,
Hiram