geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:30:07 GMT
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:40:13 -0800, Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org> wrote:
> -1
>
> Whilst I agree with the intention, we do not have a process defined that
>   would allow us to generate a reproducable release. This led to several
> of the issues with the last M3 release that ultimately made is unusable.
>   We must fix this before we can release another version.
>
> Specific things I think we need include in such a process:
> * an mechanical process for producing the candidate binaries that can be
>    executed against any SVN tag. This would reduce the potential for
>    minor variations by people doing the release that would result in
>    potentially different binaries
>
> * elimination of SNAPSHOT dependencies - these are by nature ephemeral
>    making it impossible to later regenerate the same distribution
>
> * a testing/review period that is at least comprehensive enough to catch
>    the blaring defects that plagued M3
>
> * verification that the src bundle actually builds and results in the
>    same binary as we are distibuting

+100 on creating a reproduceable, mechanical process for these tasks.
I was told by someone that much of this already exists in the form of
shell/perl scripts somewhere. Is this true or not? I think that
spending time on this task takes a fairly high priority, no matter
whether we decide to produce a release at this time or not. That said,
any idea how long it might take to accomplish this set of tasks? In
working toward this goal, the first thing I'd like to see is a
comprehensive list of tasks necessary to complete this work as well as
a list of artifacts that must be produced. Jeremy's list above is a
very good start, let's build upon it.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project