geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dedicated maven repo
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:19:24 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2005, at 3:37 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Mar 30, 2005, at 5:57 AM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>> All - For now, we could make a first step by just putting the geronimo
>> build artifacts on geronimo.apache.org/maven - namely the spec jars
>> (for now, more on that laster), the geronimo-* jars from modules.  If
>> we make publishing snapshot jars the custom whenever a change is
>> committed (manually via maven deploy now, auto later), we can probably
>> go a long way towards reducing some of the build misery that we go
>> through.
>

> We've had this forever http://cvs.apache.org/repository/
>
>> I'm +1, and happy to limit the ASF-hosted repo to our build artifacts
>> to get started, and use the external proposed repo at Gluecode as a
>> replacement for ibiblio as our primary source for external
>> dependencies, because iBiblio is so slow and painful at times.
>

> I don't think we should move our repo just because someone believes
> there might possibly be a policy against it at Apache.

We're not - we're saying consolidate the 9 or so we are using now into
one or two that all committers have write access to so that we can post
regular snapshots and fix the build issues.

> This simply too
> common of an excuse here.  I think that if you really believe there is a
> policy against it, then we should ask the board for an official ruling
> on it.  We should also insist that any policy is universally enforced as
> there are tons of projects that have all their dependencies in cvs or an
> Apache hosted repo.  My guess there is no policy against this (or
> someone has a lot of enforcement in front of them ;)
>
> My order preference is cvs.apache.org/repository,
> geronimo.apache.org/maven, or ibiblio.

The first two of those are on ASF infrastructure and subject to ASF
policy. We have had two board members imply already that non-ASF code
would be discouraged and that's enough for me.

Ibiblio does not work because we do not have an easy way to update the
repo. Naturally we would want releases to be available there (and AIUI
they are automatically replicated from the ASF anyway) but as a working
repository it is ineffective.

That leaves us seeking an alternative. Gluecode have already offered the
resources, perhaps someone else will too (after all more mirrors would
be better). Let's solve this problem once and for all.

--
Jeremy