geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dedicated maven repo
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:44:43 GMT
Hiram Chirino wrote:

> Maintaining our own repos would also allow us to solve the SNAPSHOT
> dependency problem we currently have.  We could have a procedure, that
> before a release (say the M4 release), we copy the geronimo repo
> http://geronimo.apache.org/maven to http://geronimo.apache.org/M4/maven
> and update the build so that it builds against the M4 repo.  And we just
> never touch the SNAPSHOTs again so that the source distribution of M4
> can always build against the M4 repo.

Being able to publish SNAPSHOTs during development would go a long way
toward resolving many of the build issues - for example, Jeff's recent
(ongoing?) issue with Jetty would be solved by simply uploading a
working snapshot to the repo.

However, SNAPSHOTs by their nature are jars that have not been
officially released (by whatever project) and hence are jars that won't
have had the scrutiny and testing we should consider necessary for a
Geronimo Release.

There is also no indication with a SNAPSHOT of which revision it was
built from. That will make it difficult for people to debug issues that
may arise in the field as there will be uncertainly about the source
tree that was used.

As we get close to a Release, we should therefore make every effort to
replace any SNAPSHOTs with a clearly tracable version of the source
project. Ideally we would upgrade to an official release - after all, if
the project does not consider its code stable enough for release that
should be a warning sign in itself.

If is is necessary to do our own build, then we should ensure that it is
taken from a known SVN revision or CVS timestamp that can be used to
version the jar (e.g. foo-bar-158146.jar). That jar can be hosted in the
repo just like the others, elimininating the need for a mass copy.

--
Jeremy