geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Next milestone release (M4?)
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:40:13 GMT
-1

Whilst I agree with the intention, we do not have a process defined that
  would allow us to generate a reproducable release. This led to several
of the issues with the last M3 release that ultimately made is unusable.
  We must fix this before we can release another version.

Specific things I think we need include in such a process:
* an mechanical process for producing the candidate binaries that can be
   executed against any SVN tag. This would reduce the potential for
   minor variations by people doing the release that would result in
   potentially different binaries

* elimination of SNAPSHOT dependencies - these are by nature ephemeral
   making it impossible to later regenerate the same distribution

* a testing/review period that is at least comprehensive enough to catch
   the blaring defects that plagued M3

* verification that the src bundle actually builds and results in the
   same binary as we are distibuting

I am sure there are more
--
Jeremy