geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Dedicated maven repo
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:28:23 GMT
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:29:58PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2005, at 5:09 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
> >I don't think we should move our repo just because someone believes
> >there might possibly be a policy against it at Apache.
>
> It's discouraged because it really puts us in the distribution business
> for non ASF code.  Yes, we do release non-ASF code as part of the
> release process, and there are jars in svn/cvs.  The world isn't
> perfect.
>

> > I think that if you really believe there is a policy against it, then
> >we should ask the board for an official ruling on it.
>
> I think you'd find a spectrum of answers, leaning towards "no
> distribution of other software outside of a distribution".
>
> The world isn't perfect here.  I don't like the "Well, they do it too!"
> approach, but we can try to be proactive here, and I'm willing to try
> the following argument if the Geronimo PMC supports it :
>
> Because we do distribute 3rd party binaries as part of our release
> products, we would like to make the same third party binaries available
> via maven download for our build.  We as a PMC will treat additions or
> updates of third party binaries to the repo (which we will manage) with
> the same oversight process that we do for releases - we would do it
> after PMC votes.  We would setup http://geronimo.apache.org/projectrepo
> (or some other color of the bikeshed) to do this.  If this was
> successful, we should consider talking to other PMCs to expand the
> effort.
>
> I'm willing to try and sell that.

That would be a great start.

In all honesty our source distributions for our officially voted
releases are just for show (i.e. we can't guarantee that the versions
of the jars it uses will be around in weeks time).  We have no control
when Ibiblio or any other repo decides to delete "old" jars.

-David