geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dedicated maven repo
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:37:18 GMT

On Mar 30, 2005, at 5:57 AM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> This does not per-see preclde the ASF from allowing non ASF code to be
> distributed from ASF environments. However we do try to avoid it as it
> dillute our message:. Ideally we want to say 'anything you download
> from
> here is under the ASF license and has peer review and the full backing
> of
> the ASF community).
>
> While not encouraged -do- feel free to propose a structure in which
> this
> is possible; which has URLs and webpages clearly denoting the status of
> the alien code, etc.

Dirk - We are looking to use a mechanical system (maven0 to fetch the
jars, so a user wouldn't necessarily know if the source the jars that
were being used to build/run came from Apache or iBiblio or another
repository - they aren't reading a web page.  It just happens when they
build.

All - For now, we could make a first step by just putting the geronimo
build artifacts on geronimo.apache.org/maven - namely the spec jars
(for now, more on that laster), the geronimo-* jars from modules.  If
we make publishing snapshot jars the custom whenever a change is
committed (manually via maven deploy now, auto later), we can probably
go a long way towards reducing some of the build misery that we go
through.

I'm +1, and happy to limit the ASF-hosted repo to our build artifacts
to get started, and use the external proposed repo at Gluecode as a
replacement for ibiblio as our primary source for external
dependencies, because iBiblio is so slow and painful at times.

geir

geirm@apache.org