geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Spring integration...
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 01:40:38 GMT
On Feb 8, 2005, at 5:09 PM, Jules Gosnell wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>
> Fine, so how would you take an existing MBean instance and having
> translated its interface into GBeanInfo/Data register it with the
> kernel so that any tool attached to the kernel will see it ?

You don't.  Your code can always mount a JMX object directly into a JMX
MBeanServer (assuming you started your server with one), and it will be
available via JMX.  You get what a JMX MBeanServer can provide you.
You can even call GBeans via the JMX MBeanServer.  If you want a kernel
services like dependency management, life-cycle and persistence, they
you need to write a GBean.  Normally this is pretty simplel; you skim
off the JMX stuff to the core managed object, and write a GBean info
based on the core functionality.  If you used a standard MBean, then
there is nothing to skim off.

> That's all i want and i cannot have, without jumping through hoops,
> because GBeanInstance will not accept an existing object, but insists
> on creating a fresh instance from a provided class. This is the issue
> that my patch addressed and that I have been trying to explain.
> Everything else is digression and red herring.

GBeans are not designed to make everyone happy.  For a general purpose
IOC container, I normally suggest people use spring.  GBeans are
designed to make the job of implanting Geronimo easy.  If they happen
to be useful for others, then that is nice, but the main purpose of
GBeans will always be to make Geronimo easy to write.

-dain